It’s almost time to start your kitchen remodel! We know that it’s easy to get lost with the details: paint colors, backsplash tiles, faucets, window curtains…. But… What about the big picture? Your kitchen needs to fit your specific needs, but there are many things you need to consider.
An efficient IKEA kitchen design is the result of a thorough process where not only the look of the kitchen has been considered. Take a look at these important questions that you need to ask yourself before starting your remodel!
1. Who will be using the kitchen most? It is important to consider certain factors regarding the cook in your family, for example their height. This will affect the size of the base cabinets you will be using, since this will be their work surface. This will also set a standard as to what storage solutions will work out best. Avsikt Aluminum Roll fronts will work out better for taller ones and bases with pullout shelves for those shorter, for example.
2. What’s the best appliance distribution? You have probably heard of the “Work Triangle” before. The stove needs to be not too far away from the fridge and the fridge doesn’t have to be too far from the sink! Consider this as the main part of your kitchen layout. Your triangle will be the distance between your sink, stove and fridge, the three main work areas: storage, preparation and cooking. The goal is to have them at efficient distance to minimize traffic through the work zones. You can read more about this here.
3. Why are you changing your kitchen cabinets? Maybe your are tired of the color of your kitchen but you want to keep your existing layout. You may just want to freshen the look or increase your storage space and eliminate clutter or improve your cooking efficiency. Knowing this before you start planning your new kitchen is key for you to choose what’s best for you.
4. Aside from cooking, what will be your main activities in the area? Bakers, for example, need to have more counter space than occasional cooks. On the other hand, if you entertain frequently or need a space to eat together with your family, you may want to include a seating area.
5. What storage solutions are best for you? Ikea offers a wide variety of storage solutions in the Rationell line, such as drawer dividers, carousels, recycling bins and drawer inserts. The possibilities are endless!
Check out these other blog entries for more ideas: