The ABSTRAKT High Gloss doors from IKEA were discontinued by the manufacturer after the date this article was published.
IKEA’s five types of accent doors are sure to brighten up modern kitchen designs with their Rubrik Akurum line. These doors average about $35-40 more than the main door styles. Take a look at our 5 ways to add color to your kitchen:
- Abstrakt High Gloss Green: The most common choice is pairing this door with a white slab door style – either a painted finish Applad, a foil finish Harlig or a high gloss Abstrakt. Keep in mind that the sides of the cabinet will be white; if desired, additional doors will have to be purchased and cut to cover the cabinet sides and match the accent door.
- White Aluminum: For best results avoid the raised panel doors such as Liljestad, Lidingo and even Stat. Mix it up with doors in birch, black brown, beech, red brown and even grey and red for added zest.
- Smoked Glass Black: Similar to the high gloss green accent door, these come only in white cabinet frames. They go best with white slab doors and look particularly great with Abstrakt white designs.
- Stainless Steel: The most versatile of the bunch. It’s similar to the white aluminum door and is available in a wider range of cabinet measurements. It’s the only accent door that has matching Perfekt Cover panels.
- Light Turquoise Aluminum: These work best with the brown-black styles like Nexus and Ramsjo. If paired with lighter colors, the design might be a bit alarming, so be careful and choose the position and amount of the accent doors wisely.
Bonus Tip: If you’re feeling bold why not try High Gloss Green and Stainless Steel above white base cabinets?
After selecting an accent door its design location must be determined – this depends on the area to be highlighted. Since accent doors can’t be used for tall cabinets, the choice is between wall cabinets and base cabinets only.
The best use of base cabinets with accent doors is for islands. Since most accent door styles don’t have side cover panels available in the same colors or materials, here’s a perfect chance to tie the island accent doors and other door styles together by designing side cover panels in the same color.
Accent doors are more versatile for wall cabinets because there’s a wider range of sizes. Design them along a complete row of wall cabinets – or just one at each end. Or design them to frame an appliance by designing one on each side, such as your range or even the sink.
Contact us to get started with your own IKEA kitchen design! Or you can check out our blog if you need more ideas to get ready for your project: