Built in appliances are a great trend in kitchen design. It’s simple to get this look by modifying IKEA’s cabinets – in the case of wall ovens and microwaves. This option is often overlooked by IKEA kitchen customers since they’re not available in the Home Planner.
Microwave ovens can be built in standard Akurum oven cabinets with 3 drawers and also by modifying base cabinets (pictured above). Datid and Framtid microwaves work well here.
In the case of refrigerators, the ‘built in look’ is achieved by installing wall cabinets with its same width and depth – and then by cutting and installing two 3’x8’ cover panels at the sides of the refrigerator.
It’s also possible to get this look with dishwashers and ranges. The best look is to design the appliance in between two base cabinets. If that’s not possible and the appliance is at the end of a run, then make sure that the exposed side has a Perfekt Cover Panel.
Built in appliances look great . . . . . why?
- Covering the unattractive metal sides of big appliances.
- Keeping the focus on the cabinets
- Increased storage space above and/or under the appliance
- Creates a distinct area with an increased depth that breaks up the straight lines.
- Easier to use microwaves and ovens that are up higher.
- There needs to be counter space on both sides of a range or microwave; the “built-in” look assures this.