IKEA kitchen customer Norm Caldwell has a real eye for potential. As a Wealth Manager his career is focused on assisting ultra high net worth clients manage and grow their wealth. He also has a real eye for aesthetics: in his 20’s he studied art design in LA, and still has a passion for fine art painting.
But we think the best evidence of his abilities can be seen in the before-and-after shots of his recently purchased beach condo. In this before shot, you can see the floor-to-ceiling picture windows overlooking the ocean and the dated design of the 1970s era kitchen:
With the help of a contractor, Norm gutted the kitchen, opened up the floor plan, and brought modern design into his kitchen:
Let’s look inside this IKEA kitchen transformation.
The Top 3 Design Challenges for this IKEA Kitchen
The top 3 priorities for this IKEA kitchen were:
- Maximize the space for the view. Even with a wall opened up, the kitchen would still be small due to the building’s architectural quirks, like water mains running down from the ceiling. Moving appliances was also on the list.
- Make it gorgeous. The kitchen is the first thing visitors see when they enter the beach house, so Norm wanted it to be aesthetically pleasing and fit the overall look he was going for with his place.
- Be functional. This kitchen would not just be for looks. Norm enjoys cooking and wanted a working kitchen triangle and room for 2 cooks in the kitchen.
This IKEA kitchen required structural changes
Norm told us he really appreciates the “during” photos, not just the before and after. So have a look at his gutted kitchen.
To maximize the space and the view, Norm took out part of the wall between the kitchen and living rooms. The water pipes needed to stay, however, so the wall couldn’t be entirely removed. He also moved the sink so that it faced the ocean.
That sure makes for a nicer kitchen clean-up process.
Here you can see the kitchen really coming along! But if you peek inside the living room, you can see what a positively un-glamorous process it is to renovate your kitchen. We think it was worth it, don’t you?
The finished IKEA kitchen
Norm selected semi-gloss VEDDINGE doors for the wall cabinets to reduce the impact of fingerprints and high-gloss grey RINGHULT doors for the base cabinets. For the island base cabinets he stayed with the high gloss look by using high-gloss white RINGHULT doors to pick up the reflection of the tigerwood floors . (Click here to see another IKD customer who went with this color combination). Both use LANSA handles.
If only IKEA weren’t discontinuing the RINGHULT grey! That only means something better is coming along…or so IKEA tells us.
None of the appliances are from IKEA. Instead, Norm highly recommends the Appliances Connection website, where he got great Cyber Monday deals on Samsung appliances.
From the opposite view you can see the white quartz countertop (similar to Silestone’s White Storm countertop offered by IKD) and the back of the kitchen island made from a SEKTION cabinet.
The flooring is Brazilian koa, or tigerwood, and complements the grey and white really well.
The views from the kitchen windows are of the intercoastal waterways.
Not only can you see the ocean when you’re seated at the kitchen island, you can also see one of Norm’s fine paintings.
Tips from this IKEA kitchen buyer
Thinking of buying an IKEA kitchen for your home? Norm has some advice for you.
- “Get more than you think you need of the little things. Buy extra handles and cabinet legs. I’d rather spend the extra money then waste time driving back and forth to and from IKEA. Unless you live close, get extra supplies.”
- “Definitely purchase the IKD service. I’m a raving fan. I bought the Premium package because a good deal to me is not saving a couple of bucks only to get what you don’t I tried playing around with IKEA’s goofy software, but I needed to know what the final product would look like before I began the renovation.”
Ready to start your IKEA kitchen design?
Unlike IKEA, our premium package offers unlimited free revisions to your design. Get started today working with your IKEA kitchen designer by phone.