IKEA has finally returned to its Kitchen Event roots. Instead of gift cards and other nonsense, they’re finally having a real sale. And by real, we mean you get 20 percent off not 20 percent back in IKEA gift cards during the Spring 2017 IKEA Kitchen Event.
If that’s not enough to make you run to the IKEA store to find your dream kitchen before the sale ends on April 9th, then keep reading so you understand why this is a big hecking deal.
Why IKEA hasn’t had a real kitchen sale in just over 2 years
A little history.
When IKEA debuted its new kitchen line SEKTION in early 2015, they threw it a debutante ball AKA there was a big sale.
But IKEA completely underestimated the demand for their new kitchen line. Which was silly, because the people who were thinking of getting an IKEA kitchen for their homes heard “a new IKEA kitchen line is coming” so they chose to wait until the new line showed up.
I mean, who wants to buy something that, down the line, won’t have replacement parts if you need them?
The result was that SEKTION was a huge hit and when most people finally got in line to place their order, they made a nasty discovery.
IKEA didn’t have another Kitchen Event for the rest of 2015.
Why the 2016 Kitchen Events have not been real sales
IKEA finally brought back their Kitchen Events in 2016. But we heard rumors that the kitchen events would be different in the United States than in previous years.
- Kitchen Events had always offered 15 percent off an IKEA kitchen up to a certain dollar amount spent, and 20 percent over that dollar amount. At least, that’s how it worked in the United States.
- In Canada however, IKEA kitchen customers would just receive 15 or 20 percent of the cost paid back to them in the form of IKEA giftcards.
- The gossip we heard from our spy in the field was that US stores were switching to the Canada model. But, it was up to the individual IKEA stores (it’s a franchise model) to decide how to handle the sale funds. And every single time it was gift cards.
Most of our United States customers were annoyed by this. We don’t blame them! Even though they spent their gift cards getting all of those interior organizers and other kitchen supplies that make IKEA kitchens so great, they would have preferred to have the money in their pockets.
But the Spring 2017 IKEA Kitchen Event is a real sale!
When IKEA announced its Kitchen Event on March 1st, we noticed right away there was no mention of gift cards. Hooray!
Instead, the Spring 2017 IKEA Kitchen Event works like this:
- Save 15 percent on a single kitchen purchase over $1,500
- Save 20 percent on a single kitchen purchase over $3,000
The sale includes:
SEKTION cabinet frames, fronts, drawers, shelves, cover panels, molding, toekicks, legs, hinges, countertops, appliances, sinks, faucets, knobs and handles, UTRUSTA fixed interiors, UTRUSTA and OMLOPP countertop, interior glass door cabinet, and drawer lighting.
Unless you’re in Portland, Oregon. Then, no IKEA Kitchen Event for you
Unless you’re in Portland, Oregon. IKEA Portland is not participating in the Spring 2017 IKEA Kitchen Event and it hasn’t participated for a couple of years now.
Again, IKEA runs on a franchise model and it’s up to individual stores to decide if they want to participate or no.
- IKEA Family Members will save 10 percent on any kitchen products with no minimum purchase required.
- If a Family Member purchases a kitchen appliance, then they save 20 percent off all kitchen items purchased in a single transaction.
- And, you’ll get a $30 voucher for their Swedish Food Market $30
If memory serves, this is fairly generous for IKEA Portland. Why are they offering so much savings this time around? Supposedly it’s because of their 10th year in Portland.
If you’re in Portland Oregon, we say buy that appliance! Most of our customers do not purchase them because they can’t find reviews online. Au contraire. Get the truth when you read our blog posts about IKEA kitchen appliances, and, if you search the blog, you’ll find miscellaneous customer reviews about different ones.
Don’t wait to hire IKD for your IKEA kitchen design!
You know you want to get those crazy good discounts now that they’re back! So don’t wait to hire us. Hire us NOW so you have your design ready before the sale ends. Even the most efficient design process takes about 15 business days.
If you wait too long you’ll miss the sale.
And, you might miss out on the last chance to actually save money on your IKEA kitchen.