When it comes to choosing the type of base cabinets for your kitchen there are three main choices: the typical door and drawer combinations, all drawer bases and bases with full height doors.
Most kitchens include some of each, though it’s important to understand your personal storage needs and budget considerations. Very few kitchens will exclusively have just one base cabinet type; the goal is to simply design with more of a certain base type that works for you. Let’s look at the pros and cons of each of the three:
Drawers: The current favorites
- The horizontal look that all drawers provide is great and works well for both traditional and modern styles.
- They’re easy to use and to quickly see everything that’s stored.
- Great to store lots of small items.
- Of the three styles they’re the most expensive. Using them may even double the cost of your entire project.
- Loss of storage space because they’re essentially little boxes within big boxes.
- Don’t work well in small spaces.
Door and Drawer Combinations: A Mix of Both Worlds
- Since they have both drawers and doors they’re more practical.
- Middle price range.
- Better for a little of everything.
- Since the bottom door isn’t high and blocked by the drawer, it’s tough to see and access stored goods.
- They look a bit choppy when mixed with the other base cabinets.
Full Height Doors: The Challenger
- They’re the most affordable ones of the bunch.
- They provide a nice and clean look
- They offer the most storage space
- Difficult to find stored goods within the cabinets
- Quite uncomfortable since you need to crouch to look for everything
- They don’t offer a space to store little items
What’s your take? Which one of these do you prefer?
Contact us to get started with your own IKEA kitchen design! Or you can check out our blog if you need more ideas to get ready for your project: