The ABSTRAKT High Gloss doors from IKEA were discontinued by the manufacturer after the date this article was published.
IKEA’s five types of accent doors are sure to brighten up modern kitchen designs with their Rubrik Akurum line. These doors average about $35-40 more than the main door styles. Take a look at our 5 ways to add color to your kitchen:
Designing with two door colors/styles breaks the monotony and gives a creative look rather inexpensively. It works well for both contemporary and traditional kitchen designs. Here are a few options:
- Wall Cabinets: Choose one door style for the base cabinets and another for wall cabinets. Great option for small spaces. How about using Nexus Brown-Black base cabinets and Abstrakt Cream wall cabinets?
- Glass Doors: Use the frame of a different door style, or even the same style but in a different color. For example using Adel White Cabinets you can go for Adel Beech Glass Door frames or try mullion glass doors using Stat White Wall Cabinets
- Stacked Cabinets: If you have enough room to use stacked cabinets, why not design the upper row of cabinets in a different style? A White Applad kitchen will certainly shine when paired with a row of Red Abstrakt sliding door wall cabinets along the top.
- Islands: Go for dark cabinets, such as Ramsjo Brown-Black for your bases and wall cabs and combine them with a light island, like Ramsjo White. As for the counter, you can choose the same color for both or even invert the colors.
But don’t forget:
- Keep it simple: make sure the door styles and colors complement each other. If the door chosen is too detailed, then make sure the second door style isn’t. For example the beaded design in Stat doors wouldn’t go well with a high gloss Rubrik Abstrakt Green door.
- Careful with the color selection: check color chips or door samples at an IKEA store to make sure that the colors combine well. Rubrik Turquoise with Lidingo White may sound good in theory, but the only way to be sure is to see them next to one another.
- Neutral countertops: choosing more than one color for your cabinets means that the countertop must match two styles instead of one. While a Numerar birch countertop would look stunning with White Harlig cabinets, it will go poorly with a high gloss Gray Abstrakt.
Any other interesting IKEA door combination suggestions?
Contact us to get started with your own IKEA kitchen design! Or you can check out our blog if you need more ideas to get ready for your project: